CAINE is a complete forensic environment that is organized to integrate existing software tools as software modules and to provide a friendly graphical interface.
To use CAINE Win-UFO utility, open up the explorer and launch Win-UFO.exe at the root.
Compatible with the following Windows Operating Systems:
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP 32bit / 64bit
- Windows Vista 32bit / 64bit
- Windows 7 32bit / 64bit
- Windows 7 SP1 32bit /64bit
- Windows 8 32bit /64bit
- Windows 8.1 32bit /64bit
- Windows 10 32bit /64bit
Please note, this is important, we have recently learned about the new PCs and it may need several steps to ensure it boots USB flash drives.
These are the steps for newer type IBM Lenovos computers (make sure you check your computer for specific steps as it may vary):
Source: Lenovo Legacy Boot Instructions
To boot to Legacy devices or system configured with Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) or Windows 8 (32-bit):
- Restart the PC and press F1 to enter Setup
- For ThinkPad: Navigate to the RESTART menu. (For ThinkCentre and ThinkStation: Navigate to the EXIT menu)
- Select OS Optimized Defaults and change the value to Disabled
- Select Yes to continue to disable the OS Optimized Defaults
- Press F9 to load Setup Defaults
- Select Yes to confirm the loading default configuration
- Press F10 to save and exit Setup
- If necessary, press F12 to access the boot menu and select your boot device
INSTRUCTIONS: How to boot with USB drive:
(it may sometimes not boot or give errors when trying to boot into utilities, in such case, please shut down the computer, then try booting with USB again)
PC / Windows
- Restart your computer and wait for that first screen to pop up. Often, it'll say something like "Press F12 to Choose Boot Device" somewhere on the screen. Start tapping that key. If for any reason it won’t work – restart your PC and try again.
- Please note, for different computer brands, there may be different key for triggering the boot medium: The key is usually "F1," F2," F10," "Del" or "Esc.", here is the list of common brands and the corresponding boot menu keys:
>> ACER: Esc, F9, F12
>> Apple: Option / Alt key
>> ASUS: Esc, F8
>> COMPAQ: Esc, F9
>> DELL: F12
>> EMACHINES: F12
>> HP: Esc, F9
>> INTEL: F10
>> IBM LENOVO: F12 (or Fn+F12), F10, F8
>> NEC: F5
>> PACKARD BELL: F8
>> SAMSUNG: Esc, F12
>> SONY: F10, F11
>> TOSHIBA: F12
- Once the menu comes up, select the USB option and press Enter.
It may show: “Press any key to boot from USB” during which you have several seconds to press any key to continue - please observe the computer screen if it asks for it.